Many recent works demonstrate that biological sex - or whether it is female or male - as well as the number of sex chromosomes carried by an individual, can have a profound impact on various aspects of biology, in homeostasis and in many diseases. The influence of biological sex is still poorly understood and too often ignored both in basic research practices and by the medical profession. The French High Council for Equality between Women and Men noted, in its 2020 report, the importance of taking sex and gender into account to provide better care, as a public health issue.
The Institut Cochin symposium “Why sex matters … in health and disease” will highlight the impact of sex on gene regulation, cancer, immunology and metabolism. In these areas, both the physiological mechanisms involved and the development of chronic diseases such as cancer, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, chronic liver diseases will be addressed.
- Yannick Allanore
- Julie Chaumeil
- Molly Ingersoll
- Catherine Postic
- Carina Prip-buus
- Dominique Zeliszewski
Registration - Deadline October 31, 2023
Registration fees (tax included):
- Non academics: 160,00 €
- Academic labs other than Institut Cochin: 80,00 €
- Academics Institut Cochin (except students): 40,00 €
- Students in labs other than Institut Cochin: 30,00 €
- Institut Cochin students, organizers: free
- The symposium will take place in the amphitheater Luton, UFR de Médecine site Cochin, 24 rue du Fg St Jacques, 75014 Paris.
- The coffee break will take place on the 3rd floor of the same building, Schapira room.
- The lunch will be held in the Rosalind Franklin room, Institut Cochin, 2nd floor of the Méchain building, 22 rue Méchain.
- Bus 38 - 83 - 91 : stop Observatoire-Port Royal - www.ratp.fr
- Subway lines 4 - 6 : stop Denfert-Rochereau or Saint-Jacques - www.ratp.fr
- RER B : stop Denfert-Rochereau or Port-Royal - www.ratp.fr
- Vélib : Stations n°14112 (24 rue Méchain), 14113 (36 rue de la Santé), 14111 (18 rue Cassini), 14004 (111 bd de Port-Royal) : further information: www.velib-metropole.fr
- Train: www.sncf.com/fr/
- Plane: Airports Roissy-Charles de Gaulle, or Orly : www.aeroportsdeparis.fr